Monday, August 22, 2011

Reason #3 - Make That Connector Fit


I lost the charger for my GPS navigation unit some time ago. After months of half-ass searching, I gave up. This weekend I did have a legitimate need for the device so I stopped by the local Radio Shack to pick up a replacement charger. After paying too much for the charger, I sat in my car and realized the USB connector was too fat to fit into the recessed port on the GPS unit. Rather than go through the hassle of the return process and pay more for the brand name product, I realized I could make this work with just a little modification of the connector.

The connector housing was made of a thick rubbery material which meant it was fairly easy to slice through. Luckily it wasn't hollow. By shaving off enough of the excess, I was able to get the connector to fit into the USB port of the GPS unit. The whole process took less than two minutes. 

Crisis averted, and another reason to carry a knife every day.


No comments:

Post a Comment