Friday, August 19, 2011

1000 Reasons to Carry a Knife - #1

I've always been a knife guy. My first pocket knife was given to me by my grandfather. It was an old wood and bone handled knife that smelled of oil. Some years later when I was still a boy, he acquired a Russian switch blade and gave it to me. Looking back, I'm amazed I didn't somehow lose a finger before I eventually destroyed the thing.
I recently realized just how valuable my knife is and asked myself why more people don't carry one. I use mine on a daily basis for a number of tasks without even thinking about it. Surely, there must be 1000 reasons to carry a knife. This is my attempt to list those reasons, one by one.

Reason #1 - Cheap pull tab cans fail often







Most of the time these pull tab cans are great. They prevent you from having to drag along a can opener to work for your lunch. But as I'm sure you have experienced this before, they fail often leaving you with no way in to your can of soup. That momentary sense of panic must be terrible for all you non knife carriers. Rather than spending 15 minutes of your precious lunch break combing the drawers looking for that can opener, you could just whip out that pocket knife and take care of it.

Three easy, safe steps to accomplishing this:

1. Put the can down on a flat, solid surface to prevent cutting yourself. Puncture the lid with the tip of your knife along the thin seam of the lid. Make sure to do this at the same spot where the tab would do it.

2. Pry and work open the lid just enough to slide your knife in about half way.

3. Slowly work the knife's sharp edge around the seam, prying as you go. The motion feels similar to opening a can of paint.

3. When you've come all the way around, leave a millimeter or two spacing still attached to the can. Fold the lid back with the knife and the lid should break free fairly easily.

Enjoy your lunch and remember, this is exactly why you should carry a knife every day.


3 comments:

  1. My brother has a website called the Jack O.A.T. and this would be a perfect article for it. Want I should ask him if he wants it?
    http://thejackoat.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah sure, I don't mind trading articles around. As long as it links back here and he plays nice with citing me as source. You know, the usual interweb manners.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know when I'll talk to him, but when I share it is just a snippet and a link. I can't promise he'd be interested because the site hasn't been updated in a while.

    ReplyDelete